Friday 27 December 2019
Baddesley Clinton National Trust House B93 0DQ and Hay Woods, Hay Wood Lane B93 0DG (5 miles from junction 5 M42) (Map)
WELCOME to our 27th annual Festive Walk. It’s a great opportunity to ‘walk off the Christmas pudding’, explore the Warwickshire countryside and enjoy the fresh air with the great atmosphere generated by walkers who join us every year as part of their traditional post Boxing Day exercise.
UPDATE: In view of the unprecedented rain and water table levels we have been forced to curtail all walks re-routing some sections of the walks to public roads to avoid heavily-mudded areas. Whilst the maps will not reflect this, all route arrows will be correct. All changes will be advised by our marshals at both registration locations. We recommend walkers wear Wellington boots as parts of the walks are very muddy
PLEASE note: Arrangements will be different to previous years. We ask those walking the Medium (6 miles) & Long (10 miles) routes to go straight to Hay Woods to park where there will be full registration arrangements
Parking: There will be 2 signposted car parks:
- Hay Wood for those tackling the longer walks &
- Baddesley Clinton House for those on the short & mini routes.
- Maps will be available at the starts. All walkers must return by 15:45. NB The gates to Hay Wood will be locked at 15:45.
Walkers can help us best by
- appointing a driver to drop them off,
- filling their cars with family and friends,
- or walking to the starts.
Routes: You may choose from:
- Long – 10 miles from Hay Woods. Please arrive early from 8:30. We do not recommend starting this after 10:30.
- Medium – 6 miles from Hay Woods.
- Short – 3 miles. Start past Baddesley Church
- Mini – 1 mile. Start in front of Baddesley House
- As to be expected in December the routes will be wet and muddy in places. Waterproof footwear/wellies are strongly recommended. Some of the stiles although usable, are in a poor state of repair and caution is advised.
- the choice of routes should suit most levels of fitness, age and ability but are unsuitable for buggies or wheelchairs, sorry
- dogs of all shapes and sizes are welcome provided they keep their considerate owners on a lead. Seriously, there will be sheep in fields and not all dogs mix, so please keep your dog on a lead at all times.
- all sign-posted circular routes along country lanes, canal tow-paths and public footpaths, some with stiles, the long & medium routes passing close to a pub or two, and
- all returning to Baddesley Clinton House quadrangle where there will be hot mince pies and mulled wine to enjoy with the Lions, you can collect your well-deserved certificate of achievement and then
- remove your muddy boots and visit the House and Gardens FREE, and the restaurant will be happy to serve refreshments.
Every £ donated will go to charity, when all our costs have been more than covered by our generous sponsors.
Why not get your efforts sponsored for our partner charities or designate your own special worthy cause – download a sponsorship form or use Virgin Money Giving to make a donation or ask your friends to sponsor your walk.
You can help to make this event a success by displaying a poster at your work, club, local shop or perhaps send it to those you know may be interested. Please download a flyer
If you have any queries or would like to help the Lions organising this fundraising event please get in touch today
Watch the 2018 video
If you are still unsure if you are joining us for this year’s Festive Walks take a look at this short video of last year’s event to see what it’s all about…. It’s such a great way to support your local community while spending time with your friends and family 👍 Thank you to James Nicholas for supporting us and creating this amazing video! It really captures the essence of the day.
As with all our events we try to cover the costs of running them through sponsorship from local businesses so as much money as possible will go to our charities. At this time we have one or two vacancies for sponsors. If your company would like to help us by supporting any of our fundraising events we would love to hear from you, so please get in touch now.
We are very grateful to following businesses and organisations for their generous support